Friday, July 2, 2010

Second hardware failure

First, there was the motherboard. Its integrated network card didn't want to go faster than 10Mbps full duplex, just out of nowhere. Great! Got it to the people I bought it from and they surprisingly said the "defect didn't show up". Ok, so they sent it back to me. Also surprisingly, it worked! So, it's not working, sent it to repair, they say they didn't do anything, got it back, installed it, fire up the computer, it works. Fine!

Few days ago S.M.A.R.T. said I should better backup everything, because my hard-drive will eventually die, but very soon. Fuck Win7, so I booted a Ubuntu Live CD, installed smartmontools, and checked the disk:

root@ubuntu:~# smartctl -H /dev/sda
smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
Drive failure expected in less than 24 hours. SAVE ALL DATA.
Failed Attributes:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   036   036   036    Pre-fail  Always   FAILING_NOW 2622

2622 bad sectors?, failing now?, well, that's not a nice thing to have on your hard drive. So, I took it to the service yesterday, and hopefully, Seagate will send me another one, veeery fast. Luckily, my small EEE PC 1008 HA is running smoothly, with no evidence of a problem whatsoever.

Thing is, this is my second desktop I've bought on my own, and my 3rd desktop overall. First 2   didn't have any hardware failure. The one before the current one, well..I had to change, after 2 years, the power supply, because this cheap power supply I bought first suddenly didn't want to offer enough power for all components and that was the only thing replaced on that desktop in about 4 years of constant usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment